I really wanted to write something about the onset of Monsoon, but they can wait (they are waiting): I really can't skip telling you all what happened yesterday, the day India goofed up, so comically, its last match in T-20 World cup 2009. India vs South Africa.

This time, I didn't even turn to Star Cricket. The TV was switched off at ten - exactly the time at which the match started. I'm sure you will agree - what's the point in watching a game India stands no chance of gaining anything from. It's out of the contest - that's that.

But that didn't mean I was not at all interested in the match - my electronically resurrected FM device would provide me with latest score updates! I switched on the radio; reception was exceptionally clear tonight - maybe because of the clear skies (courtesy - delayed Monsoons in Mumbai). Even the choice of songs had exceeded Mumbai FM's usual standards. All new songs from all new movies - man, the songs were great!

The score updates went on as usual. I was happy to notice the undaunted loyalty of Indian supporters, the belief that last two matches were mistakes - this match would prove India's superiority. The scoreboard was also pointing to that fact: end of South Africa's innings - India had succeeded in containing the favorites-of-the-World-Cup to a meager 130 runs in 20 overs. This was unreal, man! Even the skeptic in me started cheering. In my mind I started making up the title and content of the apologetic and encouraging blog I'd be writing the next day (today).

The RJs were jubilant - their words conveying billion Indian's thoughts - 'do not mess with India, we fall and rise like the Phoenix!' Jubilant also were the songs that came my way...

I was in half mind to turn on the TV, but laziness held me back, and I decided to use the cheaper form of entertainment instead to keep myself up-to-date with the score.

Second Innings - the jubilation continues - 50 runs for no loss. One DJ said - '...crushed will those be who challenge India, like South Africa is being crushed now by Indian Tigers...' Another said - '...India is on the verge of retaining its image as the champions again...'

Then suddenly, the frequency of the score updates reduced, and the frequency of the songs increased. I thought - 'Good, I'll enjoy a few songs, and after that I'll hear a developed score, good...'

But then the RJ was back, saying all sorts of rubbish ranging from pressurized situations to breaking up with girlfriends, I was like 'Cut the crap, man! Tell the freaking score!'

As if in reply he said '... and India is being swatted like mosquitoes - the score is 76-5.'

All those rosy images in my mind of a win at last came to an abrupt halt - What the hell! Five down! This is bad!

I desperately waited for the next update, my fingers crossed; only it didn't come - the usual run of three songs got extended to 5 songs in the current channel, as the RJ took his own time to return. I tried changing the channels, only to realise all the other channels had turned on their 'NonStopGaane' or 'LateNightNonStop' feature and the former channel was the only one with an active RJ! That struck me weird - why would the competing FM channels show so much unity in keeping the score from the listeners? It was as if mentioning India's completely shameful and impending defeat was an unspeakable crime, and the RJs were determined to spare the listeners of this agony!

Also, unlike in the previous matches, the FMs were not playing depressing songs in reaction to India loss (that is, if India had lost, I didn't know as yet).

So I quickly turned to Mobile GPRS, and the score stared me in the face -

India 19.3 overs 115-8 Required Runrate 32.00.

I slumped. India had done it again - proved that it was not fit to play against any decent team in this World Cup. I mean, India had shown us that it could neither win batting first, nor chasing. And in chasing it couldn't even chase a small target! This was the limit! I couldn't believe it!

I turned back to FM, although I knew what I was about to hear. Sure enough (I am NOT making this one up):

Channel one - 'Dil hai ki maaaanta nahin.....'

Then I noticed a something strange.

Channel two - 'Falak tak chal saath mere.... Falak tak chal saath chal....'

Channel three - 'Thik hai thik thik, sab kucch thik hai, paas hai sab kucch, rab nazdeek hai....'

Channel four - 'Kaho na Kaho, Yeh aankhen bolti hain, o sanam o sanam....'

Channel five - 'Don't worry, be happy, 'coz every little thing, is gonna be alright!'

This abrupt reversal of the behavior of FM stunned me. Then, I felt relieved that India had at last learned to cope with the unpredictable nature of T-20, and had learned not to expect much of this team, either! I shall not go into blaming anyone this time, one: because I did not see a single ball of this match, two: the Indian team just showed us, that it was beyond blaming....

'Ladkon ne toh band bajadi pant kholkar, Apni ijjat in the hands of DESI GIRLS...
Who's the hottest girl in the world - the DESI GIRL, the DESI GIRL!'
OK, I agree, it is really time we repress male chauvenism and start giving the girls the chance they deserve: for which they have proved their mettle again and again.

1 comments:

Yup.. RJs do jump to conclusions fast...
you seem to be enjoying studying patterns in Indian FMs..and ya we can still cheer for Indian girls (cricket team)although I think they have a tuff chance because they have a match against newzealand and dey r a gud team... cheers..

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

About this blog

Welcome to Shreyan Hota's blog! Read, comment and connect!

Mumbai. Land of Dreams, both shattered and fulfilled. Land of the mega-rich, land of the slumdog, where rags to riches and vice-versa are commonplace. Populous, popular, delightful, depressing, exciting, boring: whatever you call it, it is still a world apart. Come and no-one asks about you, everyone is too busy for that. Do it right, and the world is your oyster, friend. Just do it right!

Followers